Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Do You Smell That?

Ever wanted to have a superpower?  Get Pregnant.

Any sort of superpower seems awesome.  And there aren't exactly many ways to enhance one of your senses; save for losing one which heightens the others.  So having the ability to smell the world?  Sure, sounds like fun.

No, not fun.  People smell.  In general, they stink.  I don't know if they aren't as clean as I thought, or I'm getting the underlying odor that's usually masked by deodorant and perfume?  Either way, I don't look forward to an elevator ride these days.  It's not the people who are around me on a regular basis either (don't worry family), except for one.

I absolutely adore my husband.  But, has your's ever been working all day and he is sweaty and dirty and comes home and gives you a big hug and tells you he loves you and your the greatest thing that ever happened to him, and the whole time your wiggling out of his embrace because you can't stand the smell?  It's kind of like that, only without reason.  It's not that he is dirty, it's just that your nose has changed.  And it's not all the time.  Just sometimes that the mere scent of your man wants to make you run away and dunk your head in a bucket of Febreze. (sorry sweetie)

There are nice aspects to my superpower, though.  I can always tell what's cooking.  Spring is here and the flowers smell lovely.  Then there are those girls that use body splash that smells like Skittles.  Boy do I need to find some of that.

So like a young Clark Kent, yes I am comparing myself to Superman, I realized I need to hone my new found skill for good.  For as the great Jor-El once said, "You have great powers, only some of which you have as yet discovered."

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Yes! Yes! Food is the weirdest, foods that used to smell sooo yummy and good to you suddenly make you want to puke. Apparently my super sense of smell didn't leave with the baby because my husband says that my favorite game is "What's that smell and who's responsible for it?"

    ReplyDelete